08.11.2008

I have just received a message from Sergey Kofanov:

Two days ago, a plane of the local airline SkyExpress crashed on the runway in Cayman (an hour’s flight from Nabire). The Papuan Government used our helicopter to clear the wreckage off the runway. It left for Cayman this morning. According to plan, it had to return to Nabire in the evening, but weather prevented it from doing so. Now Bob and I are waiting for news. If the helicopter takes off from Cayman at 6 a.m. tomorrow, theoretically we could take off for the base camp at 7:30 a.m. before it becomes shrouded with clouds.

If it is delayed for some reason, our departure will not happen tomorrow. Tomorrow at 5 a.m., Bob and I will be at the airport, waiting for the news. If the helicopter takes off from Cayman at 6 a.m., I will return to the hotel, wake the guys, and get them to the airport by 7 a.m.

Olga and Grigory will leave their sleeping bags and gear for us, so we will leave all our possessions here and will travel lightly – then there will certainly be enough room onboard the helicopter.

I will write in the morning how things turn out.